Florida Sales and Use Tax and the Annual Reports
The Department of Revenue for the State of Florida announced that the due date for the March 2020 Florida Sales and Use Tax has been extended from April 20, 2020 to April 30, 2020. This extension is being implemented to assist businesses who are adversely affected by the Coronavirus crisis. The Order of Emergency waiver outlines that this extended due date applies for any of the following taxes that were collected in March 2020:
- Sales and Use Tax (includes Discretionary Sales Surtax)
- Tourist Development Tax (for counties administered by the Department)
- New Tire Fees (Solid Waste and Surcharge Return)
- Rental Car Surcharge (Solid Waste and Surcharge Return)
- Prepaid Wireless E-911 Fee
- Lead Acid Battery Fees (Solid Waste and Surcharge Return)
- Dry-Cleaning Gross Receipts (Solid Waste and Surcharge Return)
The definition outlined in the Order of Emergency waiver states Adversely Affected applies in the following situations:
- The business closed in March 2020 in compliance with a state or local government order issued in response to the COVID-19 outbreak and following the closure had no taxable transactions for the taxes listed above; or
- The business experienced sales tax collections in March 2020 that are less than 75% of March 2019 sales tax collections; or
- The business was established after March 2019; or
- The business is registered with the Department to file quarterly.
However, it is requested that if a business is adversely affected by the Coronavirus crisis but could still file and pay prior to the extended deadline it is encouraged to do so.
An extension has also been issued for businesses to file their annual reports. This means that any profit corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership or limited liability limited partnership annual report filing has a new deadline of June 30, 2020 to file their annual reports. If they file said reports starting on July 1, 2020 at 12:01 they will accrue a $400 late fee. For more information about this, please visit https://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/.
- STATE OF FLORIDA; Department of Revenue Office of the Executive Director; ORDER OF EMERGENCY WAIVER/DEVIATION (ORDER) # 20-52-DOR-002 (Sales and Use Tax and Related Taxes)
- Florida Department of State; Division of Corporations – Sunbiz; https://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/
Our team at MNMW is working constantly to bring you the most recent news and updates related to the COVID-19 crisis that could impact you and your loved ones. In a continuing effort to maintain the health and safety of our valued clients, our team, and the community and to cooperate with the advice of health officials, MNMW lobbies in Fort Myers and Naples will be closed to the public until further notice.
For more information you can visit our MNMW Coronavirus (Covid-19) Resource page with the button below or call in at (239) 433-5554.